Residency by Investment is the method of acquiring a permanent card of residency in another country by investing in that country’s economy. The PR status is then granted at an accelerated rate in comparison with conventional applications. Permanent resident status gives foreign citizens nearly the same privileges as the nationals of that country. Permanent residents are free to live, work, study anywhere they want without any time constraint.
Permanent residency opens up a world of opportunities for high net worth investors. Permanent residents, depending on the host country, may usually apply for full citizenship after a specified period of time.
A Residency by Investment program involves investment in another country by a foreign national to gain residence. The foreign investor is then allowed to live in that country and then apply for permanent residency after a certain number of years. Permanent residency can, in effect, entitle foreign citizens to citizenship by naturalization in that country.
In order for individuals to be eligible to apply for permanent residency status in any given country, they typically have to fulfill certain conditions, such as having work experience in the country, education, and speaking the language.
There are many reasons for investing in a permanent residency.
- Security– Permanent residence in a secure, prosperous country in case of some kind of political instability in one’s home country may be life-saving. Insurance of this kind is invaluable for investors and their families.
- Global Mobility– Many passports through their visa-free mobility are very restrictive, requiring people to obtain visas if they need to travel outside the country. A permanent residency will bring enhanced global mobility to individuals coming from these countries.
- Business– New market prospects are available to resident participants through investment schemes, as they are now willing to do business in the host country and travel freely.
- Tax management– Permanent residency can be useful for tax optimization purposes.
Each country has a specific set of criteria that applicants must meet for their residency by investment program. The most common investment choices are Investor Visa or Entrepreneur Visa under almost every residency by investment program.
Some services, for example, allow applicants to make a certain number of trips to the host country, while others do not. These conditions are common to all of these services, however:
- Provide a clear criminal record.
- Showcasing the investment funds’ legal source.
- Invest in one of the options approved by the government, such as real estate, government bonds, or a national economic fund.
All conditions must be fulfilled to receive the host government’s approval of residency applications.
Residency by Investment is the method of acquiring a permanent residency card in another country by investing in that country’s economy. PR status is then extended to conventional applications at an accelerated rate.
Citizenship by Investment is the method of acquiring global citizenship, second citizenship and passport by investing in the host country’s economy. Citizenship by Investment schemes legally confers citizenship status quicker than conventional immigration procedures.
RESIDENCY BY INVESTMENT PROGRAMS
Canada is one of the most popular destinations for immigrant investors looking to relocate. Many main benefits for the country include the following:
- G8 and member of NAFTA.
- Uncontaminated climate with rigorous environmental controls.
- One of the best in the First-class health care network.
- Excellent system of education Racial, ethnic, and religious diversity enshrined in the constitution.
- One of the best countries in which to live and give a high quality of life.
- One of the most respected international travelling passports.
There are plenty of advantages to the Cyprus program:
- Acceptance of an application for citizenship within approximately six months; simultaneous application for both citizenship and residency.
- Families are eligible for citizenship if they own a house priced at €500,000 + VAT or have a share of €500,000 in the main applicant’s residential property.
- Civil unions are eligible to apply.
- No pressure to renounce established nationality.
- Small tax rates within the EU, and free trade.
The benefits of applying for a permanent residency in Germany or the Business Immigration Program are:
- Foreign investors can apply for a three-year national residence permit.
- Investors are required to establish their own company or invest a significant amount in a German company.
- There is no minimum investment requirement, but it must be a significant investment to create a business and jobs.
- Visa-free travel in the Schengen Area.
- German language skills are not a requirement.
- Family reunification: The right to live, work, and study in Germany for the applicant’s spouse and children under 18 years.
Greece Golden Visa Program attracts many wealthy investors across the world with benefits like –
- Provides one of the most affordable investment options in Europe.
- Greece is a beautiful country with crystal clear blue waters, sandy beaches and a picturesque landscape.
- Combines best of both traditional culture and modern cities.
- Residents enjoy visa-free travel across the whole Schengen Area.
- There is no requirement to reside in Greece to qualify for this program.
- Residents can have access to public higher education in Greece and across the EU.
The island of Malta lies between Sicily and the North African coast. The benefits of Maltese citizenship are:
- Visa-free or visa-on-arrival travel to 184 destinations including Canada and the EU.
- The right to live, work, and study in any of the EU countries and Switzerland.
- It has a growing economy and some of the soundest banks in the world.
- Access to free public education systems in Malta and Gozo.
- While you wait to get your Maltese passport on investment, you get your Schengen Residence status for 1 year prior to the issue of passport, issued on application.
Investors are seeing many opportunities in the stable and fast-developing market in Portugal, including the following:
- Residency visa waiver to enter Portugal.
- Stay in Portugal, and work.
- Travel without a visa within the Schengen Member States.
- Permanent residency or citizenship as a temporary resident of Portugal after five years.
- Family members included, such as spouse or wife, dependent children, and parents.
- Access to international quality health care and hospitals at lower costs.
Here are some advantages of Singapore’s citizenship program, the second most productive economy in the world.
- It’s very quick to get a work/residence permit.
- Comfortable doing business.
- Crime levels are low and it has stability in diplomacy.
- World’s strongest employees.
- Strong quality of living.
- Small authority over tax matters.
- Multi-social and multi-cultural society as a result of it being a centre for business.
Spain is one of Europe’s most sought-after destinations. Being a citizen of Spain benefits include:
- Becoming a citizen of the lively city of Spain.
- Right to stay and work in any of the EU’s 28 member states.
- Quick visa-free journeys to over 160 countries.
- Inclusion of members of the family into the system.
- High-quality education at some of the best universities in the world.
- The cultural capital of the European Union.
- Benefit by having free movement of goods and services throughout the continent.
In the UK, immigration status or citizenship status provides investors with access to an economically advantageous world.
- A diverse and inclusive community characterized by significant cultural and ethnic groups.
- A wide network of public and private schools, and more than 150 colleges and institutions of higher education.
- One of the world’s best universal health-care facilities.
- G8 member.
- A key EU member allowing greater opportunities for business.
- Unrivalled Commercial Financial Hub.
- Attractive tax system.
Investors may enjoy a variety of exclusive benefits through the United States EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program:
- No language skills needed.
- No mandatory minimum education.
- No managerial or business experience needed.
- Investment capital may come from a donation, inheritance, ownership of a company, or some other legal operation.
- No requirement to live in the area of investment.
- The ability to stay, work and learn anywhere in the U.S.
- Inclusion of under-21 dependent children.